Israelite Kings Date Chart
|The United Monarchy|
|Dates (BC)||Kingdom of the Israelites|
|The Divided Kingdoms|
|Israel (Northern)||Judah (Southern)||
|843-815||Jehu||Athaliah (non-Davidic Queen)||843-837|
|786-746||Jeroboam II||Uzziah (Azariah)||783-742|
|721||Fall of Samaria|
|Fall of Jerusalem||587|
This chart is based on the chronology of John Bright (A History of Israel, 3rd edition, Westminster, 1981). There are other chronologies of the Israelite kings that differ in some details, for example, that of J. Maxwell Miller in Harper's Bible Dictionary.
The problem of OT chronology is complicated by various factors:
1) some biblical numbers are symbolic or schematized;
2) variant manuscript readings differ;
3) various date references are given in different portions of Scripture;
4) little external verification to cross check dates;
5) different systems of dating;
6) problem of transferring lunar dates into solar dates;
7) different methods of figuring the regnal years of kings;
8) possibility of co-regencies of kings (we know of only one, that of Uzziah and Jotham), etc.
All of these factors make figuring a chronology of the Israelite kings much less precise than we are accustomed.
The purpose here is not to solve the historical debates but to provide a general relative time frame of Old Testament events for the purposes of biblical interpretation. The reader should be aware that these dates are not absolute, and could change in light of new evidence.